Located in downtown Fort Worth at the intersection of Throckmorton and 3rd, City Place was originally developed as the Tandy Center and served as a mixed-use town center and the headquarters of RadioShack Corporation from its opening in 1976 until 2005.
Located in downtown Fort Worth at the intersection of Throckmorton and 3rd, City Place was originally developed as the Tandy Center and served as a mixed-use town center and the headquarters of RadioShack Corporation from its opening in 1976 until 2005. In 2011, Spire undertook an Award Winning $50 million renovation of the Project.
Since it first opened several decades ago, the mixed-used facility has had several “facelifts.”
The origins of what’s currently called City Place began in 1929 when the famed Leonard’s Department Store started construction of the 25-foot storefront at 200 Houston Street. By 1963, the Leonard Brothers opened the underground Leonard’s M&O Subway using modified cars from Washington, DC’s abandoned streetcar system.
Tandy Corporation demolished the Leonard’s Department Store after buying the store and subway from the Leonard Brothers in 1976. The Charles D. Tandy Center was built in its place housing a shopping mall anchored by Dillard’s, an indoor ice rink, and two landmark office towers.
The entire complex was completed in 1978 and became known as The Tandy Center. Leonard’s M&O Subway was changed to Tandy Subway and ran for the last time in 2002.
Popularity of the mall began to wane in the 1990s leading Dillard’s to move out. Virtually vacant, the mall was reborn in 1996 as the 200,000 square foot in-town outlet mall, Fort Worth Outlet Square, but was still not successful. The mall and ice rink were both eventually closed and converted into office space for RadioShack Corporation, Tandy’s new name, as of 2000.
RadioShack Corporation sold the Tandy Center the following year to the PNL Companies who renamed the complex City Place. By 2008, PNL renovated its north tower, Two City Place, into a Class A office building which is now 98 percent leased. PNL had plans to build condos at One City Place to the south but put the property up for sale before the housing market suffered in the Recession.
Today, City Place is a 1.2 million square foot twin tower landmark which spans four blocks in the heart of Fort Worth’s dynamic Central Business District. It consists of three separate buildings: One City Place, Two City Place, and City Place.
-Trailblazer Award 2015
City Place was awarded the Trailblazer Award in 2015 for Best Urban Design by Downtown Fort Worth, Inc. The Trailblazer Award brings recognition and awareness to high-quality downtown projects in the Fort Worth area.
-Topping Out Award 2014
City Place was recognized as one of the 2014 Topping Out winners. At Topping Out 2014, industry leaders from both Dallas and Fort Worth united to recognize and honor excellence in the fields of development, architecture and construction which positively impact our communities.
Director | Brokerage Services
Senior Associate | Brokerage Services
300 Throckmorton Street
Fort Worth, Texas 76102
2001 Bryan Street, Suite 1550
Dallas, Texas 75201